Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Couch quilt

I've had a few plans for quilts for other people coming up, but with my new machine I wanted to have a "practice" piece first. We didn't have a quilt/throw/blanket for curling up on the couch, so that was what I planned for my practice piece. I wanted to do something simple, since I was really trying to get to the quilting part this time. I know. That is usually my least favorite part, but I wanted to try out the stitch regulator. So, I made several improv log cabins, completing them with white and trimming to about 15 inches, I think.

I had a rough start on the quilting, but just kept going after tearing out several really bad parts. I think I was sort of getting the hang of it by the end of this quilt. I did learn that my machine is picky about thread. I've always just used coats and clark quilting thread, but the Bernina just wasn't having it. I had to run to JoAnn's for Gutermann thread instead. Things ran much more smoothly after that.

I like how the quilt turned out, but I'm glad I decided the first quilt was for us. The blocks add just a touch of color to our otherwise blah living room.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...