Friday, July 23, 2010

Quilter Bees Quilt

April was my month for Quilter Bees. I decided to have my fellow bee members help me make a quilt for the Hopes and Dreams Quilt Challenge for ALS. I sent out fabric and asked for 12 1/2 inch blocks using circles as the theme. Everyone came up with lovely blocks. One of the reasons I asked for circles was because I wanted to do some curved piecing myself. I ended up feeling in a bit of a rush (deadline for the challenge is the end of the month,) and used raw edge applique instead. Obviously, I still need to do some curved piecing, one more to add to the list.

Thanks to my fellow quilter bees for all of your help!

Monday, July 19, 2010

If Dr Seuss Was a Quilter...

This quilt is for a friend of mine, who asked me to make a quilt for her next baby. Of course, she asked this more than 2 years ago, before she was even trying to have a baby. When she found out she was pregnant, she then decided she would like a Dr. Seuss quilt. She's due in the next couple of weeks, so, as usual, I'm getting it done down to the wire.
It took me awhile to plan this one. I had originally planned on doing the cat in the hat in applique. Instead, I decided to use a potterybarn kids sheet. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it. I decided that I wanted it to be fairly fun, as if Theodor Geisel had designed the quilt. You can see in the detail how I quilted each color slightly differently.

This was a bit out of my comfort zone, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I had a twin set of sheets, so I used that on the back as well as fussy cutting on the front.

The quilt is approximately 42x51-ish.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Baby Mermaids

I'd been admiring these Mendocino fabrics for awhile. Last year I decided these would be perfect for a friend of mine's baby girl and ordered them. (I also ordered them in the blue colorway, just because.) Of course, at the time, she wasn't even pregnant. I knew they wanted to have another baby, though, and, ideally, they would have a girl. As luck would have it, they got pregnant and had a baby girl last month.

My original thoughts with these fabrics, was something involving waves. I kept playing with different designs and just didn't like any of them. I finally decided that what I really wanted to do was highlight the gorgeous fabrics. Simple does that best sometimes.

I used a couple additional blocks and solids to make an interesting back as well.  I ended up doing pebble quilting, just felt like it went with the design really well. I used white thread on the front and a variegated pink on the back. I love the back.

And my favorite block. Love how the mermaids in pink seem to be swimming around the one in yellow.

I ended up being very happy with how it turned. Hopefully, the momma and baby will love it, too. Finished size was about 45 x 60.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...