Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Couch quilt

I've had a few plans for quilts for other people coming up, but with my new machine I wanted to have a "practice" piece first. We didn't have a quilt/throw/blanket for curling up on the couch, so that was what I planned for my practice piece. I wanted to do something simple, since I was really trying to get to the quilting part this time. I know. That is usually my least favorite part, but I wanted to try out the stitch regulator. So, I made several improv log cabins, completing them with white and trimming to about 15 inches, I think.

I had a rough start on the quilting, but just kept going after tearing out several really bad parts. I think I was sort of getting the hang of it by the end of this quilt. I did learn that my machine is picky about thread. I've always just used coats and clark quilting thread, but the Bernina just wasn't having it. I had to run to JoAnn's for Gutermann thread instead. Things ran much more smoothly after that.

I like how the quilt turned out, but I'm glad I decided the first quilt was for us. The blocks add just a touch of color to our otherwise blah living room.

3 comments:

The Dunns said...

Nice job. Very pretty. Great idea for your new blog!

Anonymous said...

Very nice Angie! Your quilting is something to admire. Before you mentioned they were behind the quilt I noticed the feet and thought, wow Angie even puts legs on her quilts so you don't have to get up to get the quilts!

Vicki and I are trying to decide on when to come visit. So far we have come up with a "local event" timing but have not come up with an event. Anything you and Allen are looking forward to?

Bob

Frogdancer said...

I really like this. The colours pop!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...