Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Zig Zag Baby

This quilt started with an alphabet fabric. My original plan was to add more reds, a bit of white, with blue or green accents. With squares in the center and stripes around the outside. Then I saw some black and white fabrics while shopping. I bought several and totally changed the plan. I used the tutorial here, but added to it to make it a bit larger. I made extra zig zags for the back.

I LOVE the back. I like the black in between each band of color and I like that each colorway is scrappy, rather than all one print like the front. I can definitely see making the front of a quilt with these combos.
I thought I would probably follow the zig zag design for quilting, but I liked how stippling could soften the sharp angles. Again, change of plans. I really like how the quilt turned out. Hopefully, the baby's parents do, too. The finished quilt is approximately 44x56.
Posted by Picasa

Monday, September 28, 2009

Another gathering of fabrics

Apparently, I am going to keep gathering fabrics and not complete anything. I may be adding a few more fabrics to this mix, too.
Posted by Picasa

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

New Quilt

I love these fabrics. Almost too pretty to cut...

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Bee houses

We are making blocks for Anna this month in our quilting bee. She requested pieced houses 2-3 inches, set in a 9.5 inch block. I didn't have enough of the background to set all of the houses, but I did try to even them a bit to make it easier to complete.

I started with the one on top, and that was not my plan. This was a bit harder to get started than I thought it would be. I realized that my house was going to be quite a bit larger than 3 inches, so I stopped and made another house. Looking back at the first start, I thought it looked a bit like a mobile home. So, I tried to curve out the edges and add wheels. I didn't allow enough and the curves ended up in the seam allowances. I still liked that one, though. Anna was right, these are definitely addictive. I kept making houses, until I didn't have enough fabric to keep making more.

Posted by Picasa

Friday, September 18, 2009

Finished blocks in the mail

First I have a block for our virtual quilting bee for Meagan. Meagan wanted squares, no larger than 3 inches. Here is my take on a block made entirely of squares.

I'm interested to see how she pulls all of the blocks together. As I suspected, I like working with someone else's plans. It pushes my ideas into other directions. Perfect timing on finishing this one, since I received fabric for next month's block in the mail today!

I also told Amanda Jean that I would make a wonky star block for her quilt(s) for Quilts of Valor. I have wanted to make quilts for this group in the past, but hadn't "gotten to it," so I'm glad that I was at least able to help out with a block.

I actually made two blocks, because I over-wonked the first block so much that it wasn't the right size. I added a bit of extra fabric to two different areas to make them the right size. It just looks like a mess. I only had just enough of the red blocks for this one block, so I couldn't just redo those parts.

I went shopping for a bit of red that wouldn't overwhelm the blue that I had. This time, I cut the blocks at 5 inches, so I could trim after making the star points. Much better.

I'm still sending both blocks, in case she doesn't end up with the right number of blocks. She can trash it if it's not needed!

Sunday, September 6, 2009

IBOL Sundae

In honor of IBOL we ate sundaes. Except we did this yesterday, so since today is really IBOL Sundae, we will be forced to eat them again. Tuesday is the last day to send out bundles for IBOL! And, sneak peek of my latest quilt. I really like how it is turning out.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...