Sunday, August 1, 2010

Kindergarten Dress

I decided earlier in the summer that I wanted to make a dress for Ashlyn. I kept seeing these cute dresses, and decided they didn't look too hard. (I've never made a dress before.) I got the pattern from here.

Originally, I was planning for this to be a summer dress, Since school starts in less than two weeks, I decided it would be a new dress for school.  I'd kept putting it off, but as I was repairing her princess dresses yesterday, Ashlyn started looking through my fabric for her new dress. She picked out the orange fabric, and I started adding to it. By the end of the night, I'd finished the dress.

Unfortunately, it's a bit big. I had to retie the knots to pull it up. I might make another one for her to actually wear the first day. I definitely made mistakes (besides the size) which I'm not going to point out. The fabric not only came from my stash, but was all used in at least one previous project. So really, it cost me nothing but the pattern. AND, Ashlyn LOVES her new dress. She tried it on first thing this morning and declared me to be "the goodest Mommy ever!"
(It will look even better with her hair brushed and without crocs.)

8 comments:

Lisa said...

it's very cute!

Little Lizard King said...

Very cute! Thanks for sharing...

Heidi said...

Love this! I think I might make one too. Thanks for sharing.

Valerie said...

The good thing about those knots is that it will last longer I would guess since you can adjust it that way. Super cute choice of fabrics! I still remember my first day of kindergarten and wearing the red Annie dress that my mom made me and carrying my new Annie lunchbox. :)

Unknown said...

I LOVE it. Ashlyn is one lucky kid!

Hermione J. Schwartz said...

So, so cute! I love the first photo of Ashlyn. She radiates how much she loves that dress.

Anonymous said...

Ashlyn, you make any dress look good! And you are right: you have the goodest Mom, ever! Love, Bob/Dad/Pawpaw

Anonymous said...

Love the little dress, I may try making one for my granddaughter. And Pawpaw is right, little Ashlyn is a perfect model for your work. Glad I stopped by, I'll be checking in again.

Nita

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...